- January 9, 2012: Notice to Proceed with Phase I construction issued to Milestone Construction Services of Sterling, Virginia
- April 2, 2012: Notice to Proceed with Phase II of construction
- November 12, 2013: Mid December 2013 is the date currently projected for substantial completion of the building. Final completion will occur approximately thirty days later. Once the facility obtains final completion, MCPL and DGS will be able to prepare the facility for reopening, which will take an additional 6-10 weeks.
According to the company website, Milestone Construction Services Inc. is a professional general contracting, construction management and consulting firm specializing in the commercial interior, retail and base building fields of construction. Milestone recently completed construction of the Takoma Park Fire Station for Montgomery County.
A construction kickoff event was held on Sunday, February 26, with approximately 25 residents in attendance. Remarks were made by County Executive Isiah Leggett, Library Director Parker Hamilton, and Department of General Service Director David Dise.
The major renovation project will expand the 16,825 square-foot structure by 4,260 square feet.
The project includes:
- HVAC replacement;
- Bringing all building systems up to applicable building and energy codes;
- Replacing the windows and doors, providing new roofs and new interior finishes;
- Making pedestrian safety, walkway, exterior lighting and stormwater management improvements.
- A larger children’s room
- Separate Teen area with seating and collection
- New group study and tutor rooms
- Program room in the children’s area